Thursday, September 19, 2013

let's talk about first impressions.

Let me just start this off by saying if you're expecting to hear negative comments, look elsewhere. I'm totally and completely in love with this city. Well, except for the fact that these people think it's acceptable to eat dinner at five in the afternoon. (Anyone else with me on this one?) 

It is important to note that my positive mood/experience has greatly been influenced by the fact that I have met some really, really awesome girls. Before I left for England, I was of the opinion that "if I wanted to hang out with Americans, I'd just stay here". I wanted to fully immerse myself in the culture and surround myself with British accents from all sides. That hasn't changed, don't worry. What has changed is my opinion of the people I would meet along the way. I didn't really expect to become close to anyone or even really be put in a situation in which we would spend much time together. I thought I would roam the streets alone, lost in thought and definitely cloaked in mystery. 

I'm not cloaked in mystery.

Anyway, these girls are great. We've already ventured to the city center twice (WHERE I FINALLY GOT TO GO TO PRIMARK; too excited about that, obviously) and have gone to karaoke at a nearby pub (where we sang "party in the USA".) Talk about mystery. ;) 

Okay, before I blabber on too much (because it is almost midnight here and I am a sleepy pup), I'm just going to say that my first impressions of this place are so incredibly positive.

The weather is what everyone makes it out to be, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It does drizzle a lot, but never for too long and the sun does make appearances. It stays cloudy and really, that seems like a good thing. It gives nice soft lighting and is sweater friendly! In my whole two days in England, I am apparently a weather man. Don't listen to me, tomorrow could be Hawaii or the North Pole for all I know. 

The food isn't so bad! I've just eaten in the cafeteria so far (I have two meals a day, five days a week covered) so I haven't really come into contact with real food...but what they have served so far has been quite good. Lots of potatoes and I'm juuust fine with that. 
Seriously, potatoes at every meal so far. 
When the weekend comes, though, I plan on eating my way through the country. And instagramming the whole way through. 

Also, the last thing to note (before I nod off) is how friendly everyone is. I think I had an irrational fear that as an American, everyone would hate me instantly. Maybe they do and maybe they just hide it well. Because it's pretty much just the international students on campus right now (everyone else doesn't show up until Sunday) I haven't really come into contact with anyone other than our group leaders/shop workers/THE FRIENDLIEST POLICE ON EARTH, but every contact has been warm and welcoming. 

All in all, the city is charming and the ladies I'm with are the best. I'm happy, healthy, and about to curl up for the night. Here is where I will leave you with some pictures. x 


This is our little group, although there are a few not pictured. 

This is our little group being our little group. To be fair, it was a nice view.



And a few of the city:















Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Collect recipes to bring home for fancy future dinner parties! :D Everything looks so beautiful and everyone looks super nice! Check you out, girl :D

    ReplyDelete